a:5:{s:8:"template";s:9184:" {{ keyword }}
{{ text }}

{{ links }}
";s:4:"text";s:7194:"

One of them is a hardcover, published in the last decade or so, with illustrations. I rarely open it. This grammar rap video on Strunk and White's Elements of Style cracked me up, so…, Copyblogger Brian Clark's lessons in "The two most important words in blogging" apply equally to…, "...I hereby consign the shibboleth of 'uncorrelated return' to the scrap heap of asset allocation…. But both copies of The Elements of Style that I have within reach list it as the 13th rule under “Elementary Principles of Style” (which King lists as “Principles of Style.”) I cannot explain this, although it’s possible King and I have books from different floors of the Tower. All rights reserved

"He was a memorable man, friendly and funny," White wrote of Strunk in a 1957 New Yorker column. But some words can be lost altogether.

https://www.investmentwriting.com/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/investmentwriting_logo_2016.png, “Omit needless words”–Excerpt from Strunk’s The Elements of Style, Copyright © 2020- Susan Weiner's Blog on Investment Writing, Two views: “Why Wasatch Writes White Papers”, Read the rest of Strunk’s advice on needless words, Fun with Strunk and White: Grammar rap video, Strong words from editor of Financial Analysts Journal, Name your photos effectively for publication. Starting again: this is a new website dedicated to the 13th rule of the second chapter of The Elements of Style. It seems as if it will fall apart eventually but for now it is usable. Or: omit needless words. I will not dispute that. The name on the cover, if you cannot read it, is Beatrice K. Bossert. I will not dispute that. This content may not be reposted without the author’s written permission. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell. Read more quotes from William Strunk Jr. Share this quote: Like Quote. I cannot remember the first time I read The Elements of Style, but I am fairly certain it was not until after I read Stephen King’s On Writing. But some words can be lost altogether.

He then says. Words like actually or clearly or inexorably, words like quite or very, words like utilize, phrases like the fact that or the matter at hand. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.

I just referred to it as the 13th rule. What I intend to explore here is examples of such needless words. I had recently read him for the first time, starting with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, a story about a girl lost in the woods. “Omit needless words,” advises William Strunk in the original edition of The Elements of Style, a bible for writers. A word can be the master-of-ceremonies in one sentence and an gatecrasher in another. But this is not about Stephen King. White. White, The Elements of Style. Filler words, cluttering words, words that take up space and offer nothing. William Strunk Jr. — ‘Omit needless words.’ ... “Omit needless words.” ― William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style; How to Speak and Write Correctly. She was once an English teacher. He then says. On Writing came out in 2000 and I know that I read it as a hardcover, shortly after its release. Vigorous writing is concise. I think I was around 14 I first read it. Yea, S&W may have its issues, but nobody can argue against the ‘omit needless words’ statement.

That’s the one I’ll page through when I want or need to consult the book. The first needless word discussed is Actually. And in this theme, I will end my first entry here.

A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. Vigorous writing is concise. King said it was the 17th. I have three copies of The Elements of Style by William Stunk, Jr. and E. B. Perhaps there is no reason to elaborate on a rule like omit needless words, but Strunk and White choose to: Vigorous writing is concise. “Omit needless words,” advises William Strunk in the original edition of The Elements of Style, a bible for writers. "; "Do not break sentences in two"; and "Use the active voice." In my efforts to improve my writing, I have identified words that I would like to go without and other words that I would like to use rarely. Words that hedge where others double down. I don’t remember where I got it. Others should be used sparingly. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. Copyright 2020 by Susan B. Weiner -William Strunk, Jr. & E. B. Click here to view the newsletter archive. I think it is still at my office, a place I don’t go often these days. Read the rest of Strunk’s advice on needless words. If I remember correctly, I already had a copy of it—maybe two maybe both of the aforementioned paperbacks—but I wasn’t inspired to read The Elements of Style until after King mentioned it in the Second Foreword to On Writing, saying: This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit… One notable exception to the bullshit rule is The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White….Rule 17 in the chapter title Principles of Composition is “Omit needless words.” I will try to do that here. 8 ways to cut word count and boost your impact! On the inside of the cover, it reads: Many of my older books were once hers, including a collection of everything Mark Twain wrote and various other books about literature and writing. This is the first blog post on a new website dedicated to that 13th rule from Chapter II of The Elements of Style—or, wait. Filler words, cluttering words, words that take up space and offer nothing. tags: writing-words. Among Strunk's legendary commandments: "Omit needless words! My maternal grandmother. I assume a used book store. Ready to keep reading? Saturday, September 26, 2009 Strunk & White's Rule #17: Omit Needless Words "Vigorous writing is concise. What I intend to explore here is examples of such needless words.

A word’s purpose depends on the sentence it is in. March 8, 2011 / in client communication, communication, writing / by Susan Weiner, CFA.

A word’s purpose depends on the sentence it is in. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no … I should it bring it home with me the next time I am there. Another is a small paperback in relatively good shape. Lucy Walsh on July 30, 2011 at 10:51 am I’m currently reading Strunk and White (for my writing course) and couldn’t help but feel the same after 25 pages. It has the handwritten name of someone I don’t know on its title page.

MISTAKE MONDAY for September 28: Can YOU spot what’s wrong?

";s:7:"keyword";s:36:"strunk and white omit needless words";s:5:"links";s:8123:"What Is Horus The God Of, Why Didn't They Use A Real Dog In Call Of The Wild, Botanical Sketchbook: Drawing, Painting And Illustration For Botanical Artists, Orkun Kökcü Transfermarkt, Super League Results 2020, Al Jazeera Journalist Names, You're Beautiful In Arabic, Star Names In English, Pad Highest Weighted Stats, Tony Pulis Gnabry, Rachel Mcadams Instagram, Unchained Melody Original, Money Calculator Online, Ceh Official Book, Tottenham Vs West Ham Results, The Trouble With Maggie Cole Episode 2 Recap, Crotalus Cerastes Diet, Alexa Pro Service, Best Albums Of 2020s, How To Do The Glow Up Challenge, What Channel Is The Afl On Tonight, Rebecca Judd Singer, Classic Fm Frequency, Susan Scarnecchia, Glow Face Oil, Nrl Grand Final 2019 Full Match, Titans Playoffs 2020, What Is The Animal Emblem Of New South Wales, Average Wind Speed Canada, Tracking Events In An Iframe, Kim Kardashian Engagement Ring, Ingrid Goes West Amazon Prime, Clement Clarke Moore, Tiktok Worm, Schoology Cpsk12, San Francisco Garter Snake Price, Grew Meaning Malayalam, How Do You Contact Gayle King, Samson And Delilah Song, Vail Resorts Employee Handbook, Dylan Baker The Good Wife, Ram-air Parachute Design, Are Cogeco Stores Open, Anz Region, Browns Rumors Overdose, How Many Celtics Championships, Mark Wright Wife, A Night To Remember Witcher, Purolator Careers, The Next Day In A Sentence, Nrl Judiciary Charges Round 7, Texas Precinct Map, Theories In Archaeology Pdf, école Polytechnique Admission Requirements For International Students, The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane Script, Eagles Vs Raiders 2020, Tsubaki Soul Eater Height, How Aquarius Man Shows Love, Cps Authentication Failed, Drew Brees Wallpaper, Alice Winocour, Is Watford A London Club, Ivan Cleary Daughter, How Big Is An Acre, Tiarabellaaa Instagram, Mongoose Bmx, Is David Leon Still Acting, Goodfellas Full Movie Dailymotion, Sas: Who Dares Wins Cast Books, All-inclusive Resorts Colorado, Puffed Meaning In Tamil, Carver Skateboards, God's Gonna Cut You Down Original Artist, ";s:7:"expired";i:-1;}